Registering and Licensing a Motor Vehicle as an Individual
How to register a used vehicle brought into Malta from an EU Member State
- STEP 1: Log onto the website www.vehicleregistration.gov.mt to obtain the value of the registration tax due. The valuation will need to be printed out to be presented to the Authority.
- STEP 2: Vehicle inspections are conducted at the Land Transport Directorate, A3 Towers, Arcade Street, Paola between 7.30 am and 12.00pm. No booking is required except for heavy vehicles, where one may call on either 25565127 or 99436320 to confirm and book an inspection.
- STEP 3: On the appointment day, take the vehicle to the Land Transport Directorate, Technical Unit at A3 Towers, Triq l-Arkata, Paola . Individuals will be required to present the valuation document printed from the website and the Original Registration Certificate (log book) of the vehicle.
- STEP 4: Proceed to the Land Transport Directorate, Vehicle Licensing Unit, A3 Towers, Triq l-Arkata, Paola between 7.30 & 12.00, Monday to Friday with the following documents:
- Valuation document endorsed by the Technical Unit as per Step 3
- Completed Application Forms VEH 01 and VEH 02
- Original Notice of Arrival (ferry ticket or freight note) of the vehicle confirming vehicle number
- Original Foreign Registration Certificate (log book) signed by the foreign owner and by the buyer
- Valid VRT Passed Test Certificate (issued by a VRT Station from Malta or any country from EU member states).However a VRT certificate is not needed for private vehicles which have less than 4 years and for commercial vehicles (weight up to 3500 kgs) which have less than 2 years.
- Valid local Insurance Policy in whose name the vehicle will be registered
- Both foreign number plates
- Pay charges: 55 Inspection fee, 15 Registration fee, Annual Circulation Fee and the Registration Tax (Cash, Bank Draft or Credit Card or Debit Card or bank guarantee only. Personal cheques exceeding 750 are not accepted)
- For private (M1) vehicles brought into Malta as of the 1st April 2011 or thereafter, an Odometer Certificate of Authenticity issued by a body approved by the Authority showing the vehicles authentic odometer reading. JEVIC UK LTD are currently approved and can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone - UK +(44)-01483-276900, Malta +(356)-35505155 or Fax: +(44)-01483-331701/273250.
These procedures are intended to serve as guidelines to all customers who would like to know about the procedures to register and licence a vehicle. Where in doubt please refer to the Motor Vehicles Registration and Licensing Act (Cap. 368) and the Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles Regulations (SL 368.02).
Please click here for more information.
PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY LICENCE PERMIT ISSUED TO MALTESE RESIDENTS TO DRIVE A FOREIGN REGISTERED VEHICLE IN MALTA FOR 30 DAYS
POL 48 - Procedure to obtain a temporary permit to drive a vehicle for 30 days
VEH 64 - Application form to obtain a 30 day permit to drive a foreign registered vehicle.