Renting Vehicles and Motorcycles
Self drive vehicles and motorcycles can be hired or leased by holders of a valid Public Service Garage Licence issued by Transport Malta. To qualify for an authorization from Transport Malta, an applicant must have a proper office from where the service will be administered and needs to provide proof that he is in possession of a premises, approved for the purpose by the Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA), in which he shall garage every motor vehicle registered and licensed in the name of the operator whilst not hired or leased out.
An application for a Public Service Garage Licence can be made by filling in and submitting the appropriate form to:
- Transport Malta, Land Transport Directorate, A3 Towers,Triq l- Arkata, Paola.
Applications can be made by a person duly authorized by a partnership, cooperative, company or individual.
The applicant is required to submit the following documents to Transport Malta:
- Application form duly filled
- Copies of the permits issued by MEPA
- Floor plan of the premises duly signed and certified by an architect and civil engineer (perit) identifying the floor area which will be used for the garaging of vehicles
- VAT certificate
- A commercial rent value (for each year) declared by an architect.
- Police conduct certificate
- Certificate confirming the installation of fire extinguishers and smoke detectors in garage, issued by the installer
The Authority will proceed with the application and if the authorization is granted, a copy of the authorization should be constantly kept on the premises to which it refers and shall be posted up and conspicuously displayed in the premises.
Self-drive Vehicles/Motorcycles Specifications:
The specifications of self drive/leased vehicles and motorcycles to be registered and licensed under a Public Service Garage Licence are as follows:
- The vehicles/motorcycles must be new, except for commercial vehicles
- The vehicles must be right hand drive
- The vehicles/motorcycles can be of any colour
- The maximum seating capacity for light passenger vehicles is eight passengers in addition to the driver
- The premises to operate vehicle hire and leasing services, must not measure less than 48 square meters
Annual Licence Fees:
Table A below details the annual licence fees payable to Transport Malta to keep a public service garage, which are calculated on the rental value of the licensed premises at the rate mentioned in Column 1, and subject to a minimum fee mentioned in Column 2.
|Locality A, 8%
|Locality B, 7%
|Locality C, 6%
|Locality D, 5%
Locality A comprises:-
- Valletta Republic Street between City Gate and St. Christopher Street,
- Merchants Street between Victory Square and St. Christopher Street.
Buġibba and Qawra
- This locality includes the area surrounded by Toni Bajada Street. (both sides);
- Mosta Road betweenToni Bajada Street and Salini Coast Road up to Pioneers
- Corps Road; Pioneers Corps Road;
- Qawra Road (inclusive of side streets found in the area up to and including
- Buġibba Road till it meets with Toni Bajada Street near to and including the Gillieru Restaurant).
- i.e the area known as Paceville surrounded by and including Spinola Road (both sides);
- that part of St. Georges Road between Spinola Road and St. Georges Bay (both sides);
- St. Georges Bay and the road leading from that bay towards the Regional Road (both sides and side streets thereat);
- Dragonara Road.
- Spinola Square;
- St. Georges Road up to Spinola Road (including any side streets in the area).
Locality B comprises:-
- St.Pauls Street between Castille Place and St. Christopher Stree
- Old Bakery Street between Ordnance Street and St. Christopher Street;
- St. Zachary Street;
- Strait Street between Ordinance Street and St. Nicholas Street;
- Victory Square;
- Old Treasury Street;
- St. Frederick Street;
- Ordinance Street;
- South Street;
- Melita Street;
- Carts Street;
- St. Johns Street between St. Ursula Street and West Street;
- St. Lucias Street between St. Ursula Street and West Street;
- Old Theatre Street between St. Ursula Street and Old Bakery Street;
- Felix Street;
- Archbishop Street between St.Ursula and Old Bakery Street;
- Hamrun, St. Joseph High Road;
- Mellieha, Gorg Borg Olivier Street;
- Main Street;
- Sliema, Bisazza Street;
- Bisazza Lane;
- The Strand;
- Tower Road;
- St. Anne Square;
- Cathedral Street;
- High Street between Tower Road and Għar il-Lembi Street;
- Manwel Dimech Street between The Strand and St.Helen Street;
- Rudolph Street between Manwel Dimech Street and St. James Street;
- St. Julians Ġorġ Borg Olivier Street;
- Victoria, Gozo Pjazza Indipendenza;
- Republic Street;
- St. Sabina Square;
- St.Georges Square;
- St. Joseph Street;
- Market Street;
- Main Gate Street;
- Marsalforn, Gozo;
- Xlendi, Gozo.
Locality C comprises:-
- Birkirkara Valley Road;
- Mannarino Road;
- Fleur-de-Lys Road;
- Naxxar Road;
- Birżebbuga Pretty Bay;
- St. Edward Street between Pretty Bay and the Pier;
- Bonnici Street;
- Birżebbuga Square
- Cospicua Gavino Gulia Square;
- Paolino Vassallo Square;
- Bormla Wharf;
- St. Paul Church Area.
- Floriana St. Anne Square;
- St. Anne Street;
- Pope John XXIII Square.
- Gwardamanġa St.Lukes Road /Triq il-Mimosa
Gżira - Msida
- Gzira - MsidaThe Strand;
- Testaferrata Street;
- Msida Sea Front.
- Marsaskala Dun Tarcisio Agius Square;
- Marina Street;
- Salini Street;
- Mifsud Bonnici Square;
- Mdina whole city;
- Mosta Eucharistic Congress Road;
- Constitution Street;
- Main Street between Rotunda Square and Grech Mifsud Alley
- Rabat Main Street;
- The Saqqajja;
- Parish Square;
- L Isle Adam Square;
- St. Augustine Street;
- St. Pauls Street;
- St. Joseph Street.
Locality D comprises:-
All other areas not included above.
Last Updated: 24/11/2017