Examination for the issue of a license of a Maritime Pilot on probation16 MARCH 2021:
Examination for the issue of a license of a Maritime Pilot on probation
The Authority for Transport in Malta notifies that a competitive examination for the issue of a license to serve as a Pilot on probation will be held in terms of the Maritime Pilotage Regulations (S.L.499.26), published under the Authority for Transport in Malta Act (Cap 499.26).
1. No person shall be licensed to serve as a Pilot unless such person: -
(i) is not less than twenty-three years of age and not over forty years of age on the closing date of the submission of applications;
(ii) exhibits satisfactory evidence of good character and sobriety of conduct (Certificate of Conduct from Commissioner of Police);
(iii) has been declared to be physically and mentally fit to serve as a Pilot by a medical board appointed by the Authority and in accordance with appropriate standards of medical fitness established by the Authority to ensure that the Pilot does not have any conditions that could jeopardise or hinder the safe conduct of pilotage operations;
(iv) exhibits satisfactory evidence that he has served as an officer for not less than three years on ships of 2,000 gross tons and over;
(v) is able to read, write, and speak Maltese and English fluently;
(vi) is in possession of a valid driving license.
2. Candidates must possess one of the following qualifications in the following order of priority:
(i) a certificate of competency of a Master of a ship of 3,000 GT or more without limitations (STCW Regulation II/2) issued by the Authority in terms of the Merchant Shipping (Training and Certification) Regulations, as amended;
(ii) an equivalent certificate to (i) issued by the relevant Authority of a flag state that is party to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Services, 1978, as amended;
(iii) a certificate of competency of Chief Mate of a ship of 3,000 GT or more without limitations (STCW Regulation II/2) issued by the Authority in terms of the Merchant Shipping (Training and Certification) Regulations, as amended;
(iv) an equivalent certificate to (iii) issued by the relevant Authority of a flag state that is party to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978 as amended;
3. Before a license is granted to a candidate to serve as a trainee Pilot, the Authority shall be satisfied that such candidate -
(a) satisfies the provisions of 1 and 2 as stated above;
(b) has passed, to the satisfaction of the panel of examiners appointed by the Board from the Technical Committee, a written and/or oral examination based on a syllabus which is published from time to time by the Authority;
(c) When a candidate satisfies the requirements of paragraphs 1, 2 and 3(a) and (b), the Authority, on the advice of the Technical Committee, may issue to such candidate a license to serve as a trainee pilot subject to such conditions as the Authority, on the advice of the Technical Committee, may deem fit;
(d) A license issued in terms of provision 3 above, shall, unless previously revoked, remain valid for a period of six months from date of issue, during which time the licensee shall be deemed to be a trainee Pilot;
4. The trainee Pilot shall be trained and remunerated during his traineeship by the service provider. At the end of the traineeship, the service provider shall submit a report of the trainee pilots result of training to the Authority.
5. The trainee Pilot who fails to satisfy the provisions prescribed in the Regulations may be allowed to undergo further training for a period not exceeding six months.
6. The trainee Pilot who satisfies the requirements prescribed in the Regulations shall be issued a license to serve as a pilot by the Authority and shall be deemed to be a regular member of the Malta Maritime Pilots Cooperative.
7 Applications for nomination to sit for the competitive examination shall be received by the Secretary to the Chief Officer, Ports & Yachting Directorate, Transport Malta, Malta Transport Centre, Triq Pantar, Ħal Lija LJA 2021 by not later than Tuesday 13th April 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
8. Candidates who call personally at the office of the Secretary to submit their application shall be given a receipt. Applications which are sent by post, should be sent by Registered Post in order to ensure safe receipt. These applications shall be acknowledged accordingly.
9. The result of the examination shall be published on the Authoritys notice board.