Light passenger transport vehicles are vehicles used for hire and reward that may carry up to eight passengers besides the driver. Such vehicles may be driven only by holders of a drivers tag which is issued by the Driver & Passenger Operator Licensing Unit of Transport Malta to applicants who satisfy the following requirements:
Applicants are required to submit DP-A13 application which can be sent by post or handed personally at Transport Malta, A3 Towers, Triq l -Arkata, Paola.
In addition to the application DP-A13, candidates are required to submit the following documents:
* Medical is required after driver has reached 50 years and over. In cases of clients who at example age 48 then the Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for a period of 2 years then upon renewal with medical shall be issued for 5 years. Alternatively, one can present the medical before this is due and Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for 5 years immediately.
Applicants are also required to apply and attend for the customer care course. The approved service provider for the customer care course is SSM Limited and Swallow Motoring School. They can be contacted at the details below. The fee for the Customer care course is 50.00. Further information regarding the modules of the course is found below.
On successful completion of the course, a Driver Permit (Tag) shall then be issued against a fee of 12.00. The Permit will be valid for a maximum period of 5 years and will expire in line with the driving licence validity. In addition you shall need to have your driving licence card updated, against a fee of 10.00, with the harmonized codes 103 showing you have a chauffeur drivers permit.
The customer care course shall have duration of 11 hours; including one hour allocated for the assessment, and shall cover the following subjects:
1. Who is the customer?
2. What is a service?
3. Quality of Service
4. The importance of an efficient public transport service within the transport/tourism industry;
5. The Motor Vehicle Regulations (S.L. 65.11) ;
6. Communication with different types of customers;
7. Health and Safety requirements;
8. The effects of alcohol and drugs on driving (Training Provider shall organise this unit in cooperation with Sedqa).
Support and Supply Management (SSM) Group Ltd.
Class Court A, Flat 1,
Danny Cremona Street,
Telephone Number: 21231015
Email Address: email@example.com
Swallow Motoring School - (Malta & Gozo)
Triq Santa Rita,
Tel: 21 651 729 or 79492702, 99492702
The following procedure applies for renewing Light Passenger Transport Vehicle Tags:
The applicant will be required to come personally to the Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit, A3 Towers,Triq l-Arkata, Paola on weekdays between 07:30am and 12:00pm and present the following documents:
*Medical is required after driver has reached 50 years and over. In cases of clients who apply at example age 48 then the Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for a period of 2 years then upon renewal with medical shall be issued for 5 years. Alternatively, one can present the medical before this is due and Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for 5 years immediately.
On confirmation of all documentation, client will be issued with a Tag valid for a maximum period of five years, or earlier in line with the Driving Licence validity, against a fee of Euro12.
The driver is obliged to wear a valid tag whenever on duty, particularly when a client is in the Light Passenger Transport Vehicle.