Passenger Transport Vehicle (more than 9 seats)
The following procedure applies for persons wishing to obtain a Drivers Permit and Tag in order to drive route buses, coaches, open top buses and minivans:
- Be in possession of a driving licence in categories D1, D1E, D, D Auto or D+E;
- Form DPA 12 should also be filled in and processed by TM. The applicant will then receive a letter from Transport Malta, informing him/her about the outcome of this application.
- Be in possession of a Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC).
On completion of the above, the applicant will be required to go personally to the Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit at A3 Towers, Triq l-Arkata, Paola or at Transport Maltas headquarters in Triq Pantar, Ħal Lija (for opening hours please check here) and present the following:
- Letter from TM in respect of outcome of application form DPA 12
- CPC Initial or periodic qualification certificate as applicable. The Authority shall then update the driving licence with the applicable harmonised code.
- Original valid Driving Licence
On confirmation of all the documents and data, applicant will be issued with a Drivers Permit and Tag with a validity period of 5 years, or earlier in line with driving licence validity.
The driving licence shall need to be deposited at the Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit, since this will be updated with the respective harmonized code (104/105) to show that the client is a holder of a Drivers Permit and Tag in the respective vehicle category. A fee of 10 will be charged.
Renewal of Tag
The following procedure applies for renewing Passenger Transport Vehicle Tags:
The applicant will be required to come personally to the Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit that are situated at A3 Towers, Triq l-Arkata, Paola or at Transport Maltas headquarters in Triq Pantar, Ħal Lija (for opening hours please check here) and present the following documents:
- Sign and submit the DPA 14 form;
- A valid Driving Licence
On confirmation of all documentation and internal processes, client will be issued with a Tag valid for a maximum period of five years, or earlier in line with the Driving Licence validilty against a fee of 12.
The driver is obliged to wear a valid tag whenever on duty, particularly when a client is in the Passenger Transport Vehicle.
For information about payment methods accepted by Transport Malta refer here.
Page last updated: 05/01/2022