Change of Ownership
In case of problems with the display of the table below, the same table may be viewed through this attachment.
|Basic Transfer or with Tax Exemption||Transfer of Personalised or Customised Plates||Transfer of Company Car||Transfer By Inheritance|
|Vehicles logbook||Yes, duly signed by the seller, buyer and a witness.||Yes, signed by heir.|
|Hire purchase cancellation||Yes, where applicable.|
|Insurance policy on new owner||Yes, effective as of date of transfer.|
|Logbook No starts with D||- A copy of the ID cards of the seller, buyer and witness;
- For vehicles issued with a 3rd plate, a written declaration from the buyer stating whether the 3rd plate is also being purchased.
|Logbook No starts with J or "K"||For vehicles with a 3rd plate, buyer shall tick the respective check box in the last page of the certificate, stating whether the 3rd plate is being purchased.|
|Other Documents||Refer to Note 2.||-Declaration whether plates will be retained by seller.
-Form VEH 006 signed by buyer indicating plates needed(If applicable).
|No objection letter/Board Resolution from Company Secretary or Board of Directors.||Form VEH 010, filled by Notary & approved by TMs Regulatory Unit.|
|Fees||10 Administrative Fee||-10 Administrative Fee
-Cost for new plates, if applicable
-466 if customised plates are transferred to a non-family member.
|10 Administrative Fee||10 Administrative Fee|
NOTE 1: If buyer requests personalised plates, the circulation licence of the vehicle will be adjusted depending on the 1st letter of the new plates.
NOTE 2: If the tax exemption was originally issued due to Special Needs:
- If vehicle is less than 10 years from first registration, the registration tax shall be paid. Otherwise a new approval from MFIN is to be presented stating that the registration tax exemption can be transferred onto new owner; and
- If the 10 years have passed since the first registration, the restriction will be lifted (hence no registration tax will be due).
NOTE 3: If the tax exemption was originally issued for reasons other than disability, the registration tax shall be paid subject to the valuation issued by Transport Maltas Technical Unit.
NOTE 4: If logbook is lost, the following addition documents are required :
- Form VEH 039 (English / Maltese) signed by seller;
- Form VEH 050 signed by buyer, seller and a witness.
NOTE 5: A registration certificate which, for any reason, is filled or signed incorrectly may be declared as null following the submission of a declaration signed by all involved parties (buyer, seller and witness). The correct signatures must then be submitted on form VEH 50.
NOTE 6: Requests for vehicles transfers where the registration certificate is missing any of the signatures of seller, buyer and witness will not be considered.
Processing of Personal Data
This Data Protection Privacy Notice shall apply to all personal data related to these licences.
Last Update: 24/03/2021