Objectives and Policies
The Government shall endeavour, through the Authority, to achieve the following main objectives and policies:
- Develop integrated transport policies aimed at achieving modal shifts that favour public transport and non-polluting strategies;
- Ensure the development of an efficient and socially sustainable public transport system in Malta;
- Promote the maritime and civil aviation facilities of Malta and the registration of ships and aircraft under the Maltese flag;
- Promote policies that favour the development of Malta as a maritime hub in the Mediterranean and as an entre-port to the European Union;
- Encourage measures for the development of civil aviation and ancillary services, and in particular of air transport services of both passengers and cargo;
- Ensure that the administration, services and operations of ports and yachting centres in Malta are more efficient and cost-effective;
- Provide a sound financial basis for the Authority to be able to achieve target returns and investments; and
- Standardise practices in the transport sector in Malta in line with international norms and with those of the European Union in particular.
Transport Malta is committed to continually improve on the services it offers. The Authority works closely with the Better Regulation Unit and the Commissioner for Simplification and Reduction of Bureaucracy, to ensure that Better Regulation principles and procedures are applied consistently throughout the Authority.