Change of Ownership
The table below lists the information, requirements, forms and fees related to the change of ownership of a vehicle, depending on the nature of the change being done.
|Basic Transfer or with Tax Exemption||Transfer of Personalised or Customised Plates||Transfer of Company Car||Trasfer By Inheritance|
|Vehicles logbook||Yes, duly signed by the seller, buyer and a witness.||Yes, signed by heir.|
|Hire purchase cancellation||Yes, where applicable.|
|Insurance policy on new owner||Yes, effective as of date of transfer.|
|Logbook No starts with D||- A copy of the ID cards of the seller, buyer and witness;
- For vehicles issued with a 3rd plate, a written declaration from the buyer stating whether the 3rd plate is also being purchased.
|Logbook No starts with J or "K"||For vehicles with a 3rd plate, buyer shall tick the respective check box in the last page of the certificate, stating whether the 3rd plate is being purchased.|
|Other Documents||Refer to Note 2.||-Declaration whether plates will be retained by seller.
-Form VEH 006 signed by buyer indicating plates needed(If applicable).
|No objection letter/Board Resolution from Company Secretary or Board of Directors.||Form VEH 010, filled by Notary & approved by TMs Regulatory Unit.|
|Fees||10 Administrative Fee||-10 Administrative Fee
-Cost for new plates, if applicable
-466 if customised plates are transferred to a non-family member.
|10 Administrative Fee||10 Administrative Fee|
NOTE 1: If buyer requests personalised plates, the circulation licence of the vehicle will be adjusted depending on the 1st letter of the new plates.
NOTE 2: If the tax exemption was originally issued due to Disability:
- If vehicle is less than 10 years from first registration, the registration tax shall be paid subject to the valuation issued by Transport Maltas Technical Unit. Otherwise a new approval from MFIN is to be presented stating that the registration tax exemption can be transferred onto new owner; and
- If the 10 years have passed since the first registration, the restriction will be lifted (hence no registration tax will be due).
NOTE 3: If the tax exemption was originally issued for reasons other than disability, the registration tax shall be paid subject to the valuation issued by Transport Maltas Technical Unit.
NOTE 4: If logbook is lost, the following addition documents are required :
- Form VEH 039 (English / Maltese) signed by seller;
- Form VEH 050 signed by buyer, seller and a witness.
Processing of Personal Data
This Data Protection Privacy Notice shall apply to all personal data related to these licences.
Last Update: 12/01/2021