Retrofitting of Photovoltaic Panels on Passenger Transport Vehicles
This financial incentive intends to promote the retrofitting of approved photovoltaic panels on passenger transport vehicles and is aimed at:
- Undertakings established in Malta.
The grant shall support the retrofitting of approved photovoltaic panels on:
- Coaches; and
The budgeted funds for this scheme amount to 100,000.
The Incentive Details
Subject to the applicable conditions, the following grant amounts shall be issued:
- Equal to 15% of the investment costs required for the installation of approved photovoltaic panels; but
- Not moire than 900 in the case of a Category M3 vehicle (bus or coach); or
- Not more than 450 in the case of a Category M2 vehicle (minibus).
Persons who have retrofitted their passenger transport vehicle with photovoltaic panels in compliance with the requirements set out in this document during the past years may still apply for the grant.
NOTE: The de minimis Regulations and the respective thresholds shall apply when scrappage grants are issued to undertakings established in Malta.
Applying to become an installer of approved photovoltaic panels
An undertaking wishing to start offerring the service of installation of photovoltaic panels on passenger transport vehicles shall present Transport Malta with a written request in this regard, along with the following information:
- The model or models of photovoltaic panels and any related equipment that the undertaking intends to start installing;
- Technical documentation provided by the manufacturer of the panels proving how these panels and all related equipment can be installed safely on passenger transport vehicles and how such installation can reduce the fuel consumption and environmental impact of the vehicles concerned;
- Installation instructions provided by the manufacturer of the panels;
- The details of the competent person or persons that the undertaking intends to employ or engage for the installation of these panels, along with written approval for each such person issued by the manufacturer of the photovoltaic panels;
Such requests shall be sent via email to this address.
Transport Malta shall process such requests and, where applicable, issue the applicant with an approval certificate for the installation of the proposed photovoltaic panels on passenger transport vehicles. Transport Malta reserves the right to limit such approval to specific categories or models of vehicles.
Applying for this incentive
An application for a grant under this scheme shall be made by the owner of the passenger transport vehicle on which approved photovoltaic panels have been installed by submitting application form VEH072 along with any information, details and documents required therein.
In the case of an application within the scope of the De Minimis State Aid rules explained in section 2, the State Aid Declaration VEH071.
Applications under this scheme, together with all the relevant documents, shall be submitted by the applicant during working hours or mailed to Transport Maltas Driver and Vehicle Licensing Unit (DVLU). For opening hours and addresses refer here.
Page last updated: 02 March 2022