Scrapping my vehicle
1. It is important to note that when you actually scrap a vehicle you are scrapping out of action the registration number plates and not the actual vehicle. Another important note is that when a vehicle is scrapped it cannot be re-registered again and hence special attention has to be taken during such transaction.
2. You can call at the Vehicle Licensing Unit , A3 Towers, Triq l-Arkata, Paola between 7.30 am and 12.00 pm to effect such transaction.
3. If your vehicle is company owned, a declaration signed by the company secretary will be required. This declaration must state the date when the board resolution was taken and confirm that the directors find no objection to the scrapping of the vehicle. The declaration must also confirm the name of the person who will sign for the scrapping of the vehicle. The Board of Directors can authorize either any Director or representative to call personally with his/her I.D Card.
4. We will ask for a signed VEH 13 - Scrapping Form including the Destruction Certificate as stated in the form, the Registration Certificate, owners ID Card, the registration number plates and the road licence (if it is still valid).
5. Any restrictions or licence arrears are to be paid, checked beforehand and/or settled upon transfer.
6. A scrapping approval in the name of the owner will be issued.
7. If the road licence has expired prior to the 15th November 2011, a €2 late payment daily will be charged. As from the 15th November, 2011, where the owner of a motor vehicle, licensed by the Authority, fails to pay for unjustified reasons, the applicable licence for that vehicle within three months from the expiry of the said licence, the owner shall be liable to an administrative fine, payable to the Authority, of €10.00 for each month the applicable circulation licence fee remains unpaid, with such amount not exceeding €100.00.
8 The regularization scheme has been extended therefore if you want to scrap your vehicle or you have already disposed of your vehicle, you may regularise your position. This scheme has been extended and will end on 31st March 2018. Any licence in arrears dated up to the last dated contravention, CVA fees must be paid.
Payment of €125 Regularisation Fee and €10 Scrapping Fee, and subject to the presentation of a sworn statement (affidavit) signed by a notary confirming that the vehicle was scrapped and not used on the road since the last licence expiry date. Furthermore the following shall apply:
a) A Payment of €20 Regularisation Fee and €10 Scrapping Fee applies if a vehicle has more than 8 years of licence in arrears, provided that no contraventions are due.
b) Vehicle owners with licences in arrears and living in a home, hospital or aslyum will not pay the €125 Regularisation Fee.
c) Provisions will be made to vehicles registered by a deceased person whose heir/s denunciate to the will
For more details click on POL 45 for a Maltese version/ POL45 for an English version and VEH 44.
9. There is an Administration fee of €10
10. Transport Malta and the Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA) would like to inform all vehicle owners that Transport Malta will be only de-registering/scrapping a vehicle if the vehicle owner presents a destruction certificate issued by an approved destruction facility and confirming that the vehicle was transferred to an authorised treatment facility in accordance with the Waste Managemenet (End-of Life Vehicles) Regulations.
This procedure will apply for all M1 (Passenger Vehicles) and N1 (Goods Carrying Vehicles) and is mandatory as of the 1st of November 2013. Vehicles which were scrapped after November 2013 and to which no destruction certificate is at hand, an Affidavit may be provided and an additional fee of €150 is to be paid. Such concession will be available till 30th of September 2017. As of the 1st October 2017, the administration fee of €150 will be increased to €600..
a) POL 11 - Procedure to Scrap/De-Register a vehicle _ english
b) POL 11 - Procedure to Scrap/De-Register a vehicle_ maltese
c) Application Form VEH 13 to Scrap/De-Register a vehicle
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE