Light passenger transport vehicles are vehicles used for hire and reward that may carry up to eight passengers besides the driver. Such vehicles may be driven only by holders of a driver’s tag which is issued by the Driver & Passenger Operator Licensing Unit of Transport Malta to applicants who satisfy the following requirements:
Applicants are required to submit DP-A13 application which can be sent by post or handed in at Hall C – Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit in Floriana.
In addition to the application DP-A13, candidates are required to submit the following documents:
· Police Conduct Certificate
· Medical Certificate (if applicant is 50 years and over)*
. Copy of Residence Card in cases where a valid EU driving licence shall be utilised.
· Cheque for €12.00 for the issuance of the Permit (Tag)
· Cheque for €10.00 for the licence upgrade including the harmonized code
* Medical is required after driver has reached 50 years and over. In cases of clients who at example age 48 then the Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for a period of 2 years then upon renewal with medical shall be issued for 5 years. Alternatively, one can present the medical before this is due and Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for 5 years immediately.
Applicants are also required to apply and attend for the customer care course. The approved service provider for the customer care course is SSM Limited. They can be contacted at SSM Group, Class Court A / 1, Danny Cremona Street, Hamrun HMR 1514, by telephone on 21231015 or by sending an email to email@example.com. The fee for the Customer care course is €50.00. Further information regarding the modules of the course is found below.
On successful completion of the course, a Driver Permit (Tag) shall then be issued against a fee of €12.00. The Permit will be valid for a maximum period of 5 years and will expire in line with the driving licence validity. In addition you shall need to have your driving licence card updated, against a fee of €10.00, with the harmonized codes 103 showing you have a chauffeur drivers permit.
Modules covered during the Customer Care Course
The customer care course shall have duration of 11 hours; including one hour allocated for the assessment, and shall cover the following subjects:
1. Who is the customer?
2. What is a service?
3. Quality of Service
4. The importance of an efficient public transport service within the transport/tourism industry;
5. The Motor Vehicle Regulations (S.L. 65.11) ;
6. Communication with different types of customers;
7. Health and Safety requirements;
8. The effects of alcohol and drugs on driving (Training Provider shall organise this unit in cooperation with Sedqa).
Courses are being held at:
Support and Supply Management (SSM) Group Ltd.
Class Court A, Flat 1,
Danny Cremona Street,
Telephone Number: 21231015
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Renewal of Tag
The following procedure applies for renewing Light Passenger Transport Vehicle Tags:
The applicant will be required to come personally to the Driver and Passenger Operator Licensing Unit, Hall C, weekdays between 07:30am and 12:00pm and present the following documents:
*Medical is required after driver has reached 50 years and over. In cases of clients who apply at example age 48 then the Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for a period of 2 years then upon renewal with medical shall be issued for 5 years. Alternatively, one can present the medical before this is due and Driver Permit Tag shall be issued for 5 years immediately.
On confirmation of all documentation, client will be issued with a Tag valid for a maximum period of five years, or earlier in line with the Driving Licence validity, against a fee of Euro12.
The driver is obliged to wear a valid tag whenever on duty, particularly when a client is in the Light Passenger Transport Vehicle.
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE